What are they like to work with?
This is a personalities/culture question. You might not think you’ll care, but relationships matter a lot when developing anything custom. While you’re not on the development team, you are working together to make sure you get the test system you want/need in the end.
You’ll likely get an initial impression about the company from their website, but pay close attention during the sales process, especially once they bring an engineer into the discussion. In our case, that’s more than likely the person you’ll be working with during the development of your test equipment. Think about these things:
- Do you feel like you’ll get along with them okay?
- Do they seem generally realistic (not overly optimistic or pessimistic)?
- Do they keep their commitments (even small ones)?
- Do you feel like they’re being real with you, or are they putting on an act to win your business?
- If you poke at them a bit, can they handle it, or does it seem like they’ll crack easily?