The enhanced system added machine vision-based capabilities to an existing end-of-line manufacturing test system. New hardware (cameras, lighting, fixture) was selected and integrated by the client. Viewpoint developed the image analysis routines using the Cognex In-Sight software. These routines were then downloaded and controlled using LabVIEW software developed by Viewpoint. In addition, the LabVIEW GUI contained the image acquired by the camera and the results of the image analysis. The tester can inspect four different part types.
The software essentially performs the following functions:
- Look up the expected characteristics of the part being inspected.
- Populate the on-camera In-Sight “spreadsheet” with configuration information used in the image analysis/inspection.
- Trigger the image capture and read results from the on-camera spreadsheet.
- Use the on-camera image analysis to check a critical angle of the part as the part is set in the nest fixture.
- Check the information laser etched on the part and compare the results with what should be on the part (relative to the barcode read in for the lot and the 2D barcode on the part) using the OCR/OCV capabilities of the camera.
- Perform other physical part characterization image analyses to verify the part was correctly labeled & assembled.